Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Why We Love Rome--Day Of The Pig.

If you love carnitas, you'll love porchetta. That's slow-roasted pork stuffed with rosemary and garlic. It's an Italian specialty, and Romans are especially proud of their version. As a true believer in all things porcine, I sought out the best porchetta Rome had to offer.

This little hole-in-the-wall serves nothing but porchetta and beer. They've been doing it since 1890, so you know they have it down.



You can have a porchetta panini or a plate of sliced porchetta. Those are your only choices, because they don't serve anything else. The sandwich features a crusty roll and three slices of porchetta, including a slice of the crispy, golden brown skin, and nothing else. No mayo, no lettuce, no mustard, just the juicy, incredibly flavorful meat.



If that sounds good to you, you are worthy of the pig. If not, you should probably order a salad.

Of course, you'll have to go elsewhere to do so.

P.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yum....and I'm so jealous. I want, I want, I want.
And note to self, renew passport!

Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Peter if they have takeout would you bring me a plate or two?