Thursday, November 14, 2013

Goodbye, Mary Robin.

My older sister, Robin Michel died last Friday evening.

Although she had survived throat cancer, she succumbed to Parkinson's disease. She had taken a bad fall a few days before, but seemed to be recovering well. She was moved from the hospital to a rehab center Friday afternoon. Her husband, Glenn, was with her until around 6:00 and she seemed in good spirits. He went home for the evening, but received a call at 8:30 telling him that she was gone. It was shockingly sudden.

Robin was 12 years older than me, so my first memories are of her as a teenager in her last years of high school. She and her girlfriends would take me to the beach, often encouraging me to wickedness like rolling a beach ball onto unsuspecting sunbathers. Yeah, that's how I got this way. Her room was next to mine and I can remember lots of laughing and loud pop music when her friends would come over.


My sweet sister in her early 20s.

Then she went away to nursing school and soon after married Glenn and moved to San Diego. Glenn was in advertising and they, to me, were the quintessential sophisticated late 1950s-early 1960s couple. Glenn had an MG and then an Austin Healey. They drank Martinis, played Miles on their hi-fi, and had lots of Danish modern furniture. Their life was what I wanted and expected my life to be.

They had kids, moved to Del Mar, about a half block from the ocean. We visited them often, and I have many fond memories of playing with my nephew and nieces on the beach.

Even as I grew up and moved away from home, we always got together for Thanksgiving and Christmas at least. It wasn't until I moved to northern California that that tradition ended for me and the times when we saw each other grew fewer.

I can't believe I'll never see her again.

My love and condolences to Glenn, Mark, Kristin, Teresa, and Jennifer. I'll see you in December.

P.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Our condolences Peter, she sounds like what we all wanted to be when we grew up. Love Michele and Steve