Sunday, June 14, 2015

Back To Cusco: Celebration And Sickness.


After our lovely idyll with Inkaterra (we wrestled with spending another night, but decided we couldn't justify it), we took the vistadome train back to Cusco. We hadn't really paid a lot of attention to the train trip, leaving it in Wayki Trek's hands. So we were disappointed to discover that the train didn't leave until 5:30, which is right around sunset here, meaning that the vistadome was essentially useless. still, a train ride is always fun.



Back in Cusco, the arrival of the weekend brought multiple parades and celebrations involving colorful costumes and dancing. It's all a run-up to the festival of the summer solstice that will bring even greater throngs of people to the city.





And, of course, no celebration would be complete without savory snacks on a stick--like these roasted guinea pigs. Little stands advertising "cuy al palo," guinea pig on a stick are everywhere in Peru.


We were working ourselves up to try some, but then I got sick. I had been pretty literally off my feed for a few days. In fact as far back as our last days on the Inka trail I hadn't felt very hungry, in spite of how much energy I was expending. When I did eat, I felt ill afterwards, bloated and nauseous. Because I wasn't eating much, my energy took a nosedive. I could barely walk a block before having to sit down and rest. And yet the thought of food made me ill.

Finally, we decided it was time for me to see a doctor. Our landlady kindly called a local clinic, and they sent a doctor around about an hour later. She diagnosed gastritis, and inflammation of the stomach lining caused by bacteria, which confirmed what I suspected from googling my symptoms. She prescribed the Peruvian equivalent of Pepto Bismol, a variety of antacids, a bland diet, and no alcohol. The house call cost us $30.



And within two days I was 100% better. I'm still taking the meds just to be safe, but I did sneak a pisco sour last night. It settled well.

P.


No comments: