Monday, July 6, 2020

My Musical Journey. Part 17: I Am The Blues.


I lived in Chico from 1969 until I graduated from Chico State in 1971. I had inherited my father's old VW, but I didn't have much money for gas, so I hitchhiked a lot, especially when I went home for the holidays in Southern California or to visit my girlfriend and future first wife in Oakland.

In late '69, I hitched to Altamont to see the Rolling Stones free concert. I wound up sitting in the dirt about 100 yards from the stage next to a fat naked Mexican man who wept inconsolably through much of the concert. I was almost trampled when the Hell's Angels killed Meredith Hunter. 

In December of 1970, my dad died after being bedridden for about six months. I was sad and angry, but also determined to make something out of my life. I changed my major from anthropology to communications and blitzed through my final year in six months. Social Security sent me a survivors benefits check for $150. I used $75 of it to buy a fairly credible stereo system from Radio Shack. That little system served me well for many years, and always a reminder of my dad. Thanks, Dad.

On one of my Oakland trips I visited one of my favorite used record stores on Telegraph Ave. and discovered Chicago blues.

The album "I Am The Blues" by Willie Dixon is still one of my favorites. It has only nine songs, all written by Willie, and all blues classics that have been covered by pretty much every blues band ever: "Back Door Man," "I Can't Quit You, Baby," "Seventh Son," "Spoonful," "I Ain't Superstitious," "You Shook Me," "Hootchie Coochie Man," "Little Red Rooster," and "The Same Thing." All had been released by various blues artists like Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters in the 50s and early 60s, but it''s great to hear Willie doing his own material backed by some of Chicago's best session men.




P.

No comments: