Monday, July 13, 2020

My Musical Journey. Part 19: Cold, Cold Heart.

When I was younger (so much younger than today), I loathed country music--the lugubrious singing, the twangy guitars, the corny lyrics. Then in college, a friend of mine introduced me to Hank Williams. Sure the lyrics were often corny and unintentionally hilarious, but they were also often cleverly constructed. The twangy guitars were satisfyingly bluesy. And the singing was touchingly heartfelt with a refreshingly rough edge.
Best of all, they were excellent to sing when you were drunk (I did mention that this was college). Hank's career was unfortunately short. He died of heart failure caused by the combination of alcohol, morphine and chloral hydrate at the age of 29. But in that brief career, he wrote dozens of classic country songs, becoming known as the "Hillbilly Shakespeare" because of his gift with lyrics.
The first songs of his I ever heard were "Cold, Cold Heart" and "Take These Chains From My Heart." I still love singing them when I get buzzed.
I think this is one of the best lyrics.

And this one is just plain fun to sing.
P.

No comments: