Saturday, June 6, 2020

My Musical Journey. Part 12: Bluesbreakers

My love for electric blues really took off when I discovered the Bluesbreakers. Eric Clapton was indeed God in my book. Later I would discover Otis Rush and all the other Chicago bluesmen that Mayall’s style derived from. 

Still the Bluesbreakers did a masterful and respectful job of bringing blues to the rock audience and a whole new generation. Their love for blues inspired me to seek out a wide range of roots blues, from Robert Johnson to Vera Hall to Blind Willie Johnson. And it’s still a great album featuring some of Clapton’s finest guitar work. 
Mayall continued to make excellent music even after Clapton left the band. Clapton went on to co-found Cream and then joined several other short-lived bands before his long solo career. He done a lot of good stuff over the years, but, for me, none of it ever has reached the pure, time-stopping ferocity of his solos here.


P.

No comments: