Thursday, June 4, 2020

My Musical Journey. Part 9: Rubber Soul.

I took my first acid trip in May of 1966, just before LSD was declared an illegal drug in California. It was an incredible trip in many ways, and the soundtrack was Rubber Soul by the Beatles.
I was not a Beatles fan at the time. I saw them as cynical purveyors of teenybopper pop with a fan base of screaming girls. Rubber Soul was different. The songs were more serious, more musically accomplished than anything they’d done before. “I’m Looking Through You” especially took on a cosmic significance that day. I was convinced that I could communicate telepathically with my friends. And I had a vision of God that still resonates with me today.
So “Rubber Soul” has a special place in my life. I became a Beatles fan, I loved “Revolver,” still their best album in my book, and of course “Sergeant Pepper.” I was less enthralled by their later efforts, though they continued to put out some great songs from time to time.
I took a few more LSD trips, but the purity of the acid that was available to me was not great, so I lost interest. I lost interest in the Beatles, too, as far as their new music went. But I still love their stunning middle period when they were the most innovative and influential music creators on the planet.
P.

No comments: