Wednesday, June 3, 2020

My Musical Journey. Part 7: The Sound of Silence.

"Hello, darkness, my old friend."

Now that was a lyric that hooked me immediately. And I soon got immersed in Paul Simon’s poetic lines. He and Bob Dylan did much to convince me that pop music could address serious topics in a meaningful way. I also appreciated the beautiful harmonies he and Art Garfunkel created together.
“Sounds of Silence” was a big influence on my musical tastes, but an ephemeral one. After “Bookends,” their third album, I lost interest in Simon & Garfunkel. I never really got into Simon’s later music, though some of his solo songs are great. And I totally soured on Garfunkel after witnessing him pitch a hissy fit when the manager at Le Cirque wouldn’t seat him immediately without a reservation. Sadly, sometimes your idols prove to have feet of clay.
P.


No comments: