Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Road Trip! Part 5: Flying Home.

I hate retracing my steps, so instead of going back home the same way I came, I decided to take the back roads through California and Oregon. The problem with this was that I'd gotten off to a very late start (I finally got out of Gerlach at about 2:15) on what my GPS said was a 10 hour and 1 minute drive. With the change to Mountain time, that would put me into Boise at 1:15am.

Ugly.

But the drive was beautiful, especially after I left the deserts of Nevada for 
the green pastures of Surprise Valley, CA.

It was like being suddenly transported to the Swiss Alps.

The scenery continued beautiful through the mountains and into southern Oregon. And I continued to shave time off my estimated arrival.

I hit some rain in eastern Oregon, but managed to miss a large badger that was waddling across the highway. I finally pulled into Boise at about 10:20, just a bit over 7 hours after leaving Gerlach. That was a hour faster than it took me to get there in the first place. 

I guess I was ready to be home.

P.

No comments: