Thursday, September 24, 2009

Creepy.

Since I got here I have been noticing the funky mannequins of Hanoi's myriad clothing stores. Many look like they've been around forever. All (that I've seen, anyway) have Caucasian (well, I guess it has "asian" in it anyway) features. Just as most of the billboards, and especially those for beauty products, features Western models. It's odd to me. Here's a country with some of the most beautiful women in the world (just walk around Hanoi and you'll see what I mean) and the model of beauty doesn't reference them.

But that's getting off track. The mannequins here intrigue me. They look funky and odd from afar, but examine them close up and they are very disturbing.

Here a sample:

They seem reasonably normal at first glance.

Close up, not so much. Click on pictures for full effect.

Not quite convinced? How about these?

There are many of these amputee children.

Zombies?

Or aliens?

You be the judge.

Okay, one mannequin of color. But her head's held on with scotch tape.

P.

1 comment:

Eileen said...

You know I pondered for a while as to the Nationality of the models and never guessed right...it seems that from 1902 to 1954 Hanoi was the capital of French Indochina. Of course the models are definitely at least that old...so there you go!

Peter...love that you have such a great eye for the quirky...