Saturday, September 12, 2009

This is truly horrible.

A couple of days ago, we stunned to wake up to an email from my sister Catherine and her husband David saying the his niece, Desiree Davis had been murdered on Labor Day.

Desiree was sitting on the porch of a house on 54th St. in Oakland with friends, enjoying a BBQ, when a car drove up, a man got out and sprayed the porch with bullets. She died within minutes - before the ambulance arrived. It was just four years ago that Desiree, her sister and mother arrived in Oakland from New Orleans after losing everything in Hurricane Katrina. Desiree had just turned 17.

As devastated as we are, it is nothing compared to what Desiree's mother, sister and other family members are feeling. Desiree's Mom is Dru and her sister is Tai - please send them love and prayers.

P and O

7 comments:

Ruby said...

Oh, Ophie & Peter, I'm so sorry to read about Desiree and outraged at the lack of respect for life by these young people involved in the shooting. I watched the video clip and read the article from ABC7 in Oakland. It showed her picture. She was a beautiful child and a good student. You all have my sincere condolences and my prayers.

Ophelia and Peter said...

Thank you Ruby.

O.

Steve said...

I am sort of stunned, guys. What a waste. I am sorry.

Ophelia and Peter said...

Steve - it is so senseless. Thank you for your kind words.

O.

bisquiat said...

Oh, fucking hell. Love and wishes for a kinder world to you and to all her family.

Footloose Worldwide said...

I am shocked and horrified. It's hard to understand the lack of respect for human beings.....and she was so young, just starting her life.....please accept my sincere condolence.

Ophelia and Peter said...

Bisquiat and Howard - thank you.