Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Take one kitten and call me in the morning. Oh, this is where I work.

When we first arrived in Hanoi, I took any job that was offered just to get my foot in the door and to get some real time experience. After a couple of months I began to be a bit more choosy and now, three months later, I am comfortably employed at two schools. Here are a few pictures of the schools and some of my students.

English Hanoi is a small and delightful school. So small that other than Patrick ( the owner) there is one additional teacher besides me. Patrick co-owns the school with his wife, Lan Ahn; a warm and welcoming couple. He is Canadian and she is Vietnamese and they're expecting their first child ( a boy) in February. Peter and I have become friends with them and it is easily my favorite place to work.

I teach two beginner English classes; ages 18 - 25. Even though most of my students have studied English for 8-10 years, they still require a fair amount of grammar, help with syntax, and of course pronunciation. I have a workbook that I use as a guide and I also bring in supplementary material. The internet is a good resource as well as a few bookstores in the area.


The school is accessed through a very narrow (one motorbike barely fits) alley from the main street.

The outside of the building is painted a bright-easy-to-spot red.


My classroom.


Another view.


Patrick and Lan Ahn.


Some of my students.

The second school is UNESCO. No, not that UNESCO. When I first answered the ad for a teacher, I too was under the impression that it was that UNESCO. I quickly realized that this school is merely using the name because it sounds prestigious. Very Vietnamese.

At this school I teach two TOEFL ( Test of English as a Foreign Language) classes. TOEFL is a standardized test used by most universities and some governments to score English proficiency. My students are 18-40. The younger ones are studying to take TOEFL in March 2010. Those who pass the test will then go to study in Oklahoma and return to Vietnam to work at the largest petrol company here - PetrolVietnam. PV has awarded these kids a full scholarship; in return, the kids will work at PV for a minimum of 10 years.


The front of the school.


Two of the admin staff. Ms. Wa (seated) and Ms. Hang.


One of my TOEFL classes.


After one of the students contracted H1N1, many of the remaining students began wearing masks.

I find most Vietnamese students to be eager-to- learn, very interested in how they can improve their English skills and committed to their studies. I am humbled each time I walk into my classrooms and these sweet students watch my every move and hang on to everything I say. At the end of a class I am exhausted. Still, they are a delight to teach.


Luong is my trusty motorbike driver. Here he is right outside my front gate to pick me up at 8am sharp. I enjoy true door-to-door service. Since my evening classes do not end until 9pm, I do not have to be concerned about walking down dark alleys after dark. ( T, no need to worry :))

The kitten? One of my students during a speaking assignment on local foods informed me that while he no longer eats dog or cat, he does believe in the medicinal properties of a black kitten. Apparently when he was about 6-years-old he suffered from respiratory ailments. After repeated visits to the doctor, his grandmother made him black kitten soup. Within 2 days he was healed and has not had any problems since. He emphasized it has to be a kitten and it needs to be black.

O.

3 comments:

Shem the Wrench said...

such a great post. i'm glad you feel happy and settled, and i'm sure the students are excited to see you every day!! great stories - especially the part about having your own driver!! how cool is that?!

Steve said...

I agree with Emily - it is great to read about your life in Vietnam. I have all kinds of questions: what kind of hours do you guys work? Do you eat out every night? Or are you cooking? Do you have TV or are you watching stuff on your computers?

How does your life differ from here.

Steve

Ophelia and Peter said...

Right now O. is working from 8:30 to 11:30 M-F and 5:30 to 8:30 (approx.) M-F. That's a lot of teaching. Too much, really. She spends her afternoons doing lesson plans. I work less, and more flexible hours: 8:00 to 12:00 for VietSoftware, 2:00 to 4:00 M&W teaching and 6:00 to 7:30 T-F teaching at various schools. I'm hoping to add 5-6 more afternoon teaching hours. We have worked hard to keep our weekends free of work so we can do more sightseeing. Because we work evenings, we usually eat our main meal at lunch. We almost always eat out. We just don't have the time and energy to go shopping )a major production), cook and clean up. Especially when great food can be had incredibly cheaply. For dinner we usually just snack on left-overs and fruit, etc. We have tried to get the foreign channel package installed on our TV, but every month our service provider says it will be available in a couple weeks and then it never is. So we download and watch everything on computer. So glad that we popped for the 1080p equivalent displays. We have caught up on almost all the movies we wanted to see but missed over the last few years. Now we are embarking on "The Wire." Some fun.
Keep those questions coming!
P.