Monday, December 7, 2009

The Buttocks of a Dog...And Beyond!

Well, another sign of winter here is that everyone's in the mood for dog meat. Apparently, because it's very rich, it's most popular in the cold months. Today as I was cruising along on the back of a motorbike, we went down dog meat street. Literally stacks of whole roasted dogs. Not a pretty sight to us, but there were lots of shoppers who seemed quite pleased.

My students tell me that dog, and to a lesser extent, cat-napping is a big problem here. The dog meat stores apparently pay a premium with no questions asked. My students say it's not uncommon for dogs to be snatched right in front of their owners. I don't know though, I see a lot of dogs around town, there are several in our alley and out on Doi Can, and none of them look worried. Nor do their owners. So I can't vouch for the accuracy of the students' story. But I have heard it from a number of my classes.

P.

No comments: