Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Fi, Fie, Fo, Fuh.

FYI--Pho, which we've always pronounced "fo," is actually pronounced "fuh" as in fuhgeddaboudit. Our students were very amused at our pronunciation of such a simple word, as they are at all our comical attempts to speak their language. Sigh. Just when we think we have a word or phrase down, we say it to someone who looks at us like we're from Mars. After many repetitions, they usually get it, laugh and correct us by saying something that sounds exactly like what we thought we said. Or, worse, they say it in a slightly different way, which we faithfully parrot and use only to be corrected with yet another variation by the next person we try it on.

I so sympathize with our students.

P.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"they usually get it, laugh and correct us by saying something that sounds excatly like what we thought we said."
I couldnt agree more with this when pronouncing a new language

Beth said...

My favorite Pho... in homage to the Govenator. On Clement Street, SF, CA, there is a new Pho restaurant called Cali pho nia. With the correct Vietnamese enunciation, as you just educated us, the homage to the Govenator wouldn't work. Oh well. Still makes me laugh.

Ophelia and Peter said...

What a great name - it must be newish - I don't remember it. Of course as I write this I realize we lived in SF almost nine years ago!!!!!!