Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Aaaaarrrrrghhh

Now our potential landlord is acting squirrelly. He wants to be paid in US dollars at the market rate. We are countering that it will cost us too much in fees to exchange VN dong into US dollars for the rent and that the market rate fluctuates too much. We want to pay in dong at the more stable bank rate.

We were supposed to have a walk through this afternoon and sign the lease. He was mysteriously unavailable. We've asked out agent to start looking for more places to show us. Big bummer - we liked that house alot. Oh well...the search continues.

On a more positive note, I taught my first class this morning at a software company. Went quite well. About 22 students in their early 20's. I over prepared and had more than enough material for the 3 hours. At the end of class when I asked for feedback, one young woman slowly raised her hand and asked if we could play more games next time. Apparently the student love to play games. The director at the school who hired me (and who contracts with various companies) informed me that yes, all VN students love to play games. So games it is...I'll have to think of some for our Thurs class.

We haven't even been here two weeks - feels much longer. Already I am mostly comfortable hailing a motor scooter, donning the required helmet, hopping on the back and braving Hanoi traffic via an experienced driver. Even so, I sometimes just close my eyes. They travel headlong into opposing traffic, weaving and dodging, seemingly unaware of other drivers honking at them. We keep thinking we might rent a scooter and a bike for a month and see which one we like best for this traffic. So far we just keeping thinking about it...I don't think I'm that brave yet.

O.

1 comment:

bisquiat said...

Games? How about strip poker?